Lifestyle

The Museum
In June 24,1990 the Turtle Lake School, the Munroe Barber Shop and the Newbold Butcher Shop were officially opened as the Borden Museum. Now the museum consists of 5 buildings: the Diefenbaker Homestead replica being added in 1992 and the Masonic Lodge in 1996. In 2005 the Lodge basement was officially opened with murals from different time periods being created by the Borden School students.
 
The barber shop and butcher shop were original buildings from Borden and members of these 2 families donated the furnishings for these buildings. Turtle Lake School had been moved to the Borden school grounds and was used as an extra classroom until 1984. There is an area in the school that depicts a 1940's classroom, and an area that tells the story of Borden's Hospital/Health Centre.
 
A small area is set up as a telephone switchboard, complete with an operator. In 2007 an area for an art gallery was constructed in the school and a display of Past, Present and Future Artists from the area was assembled.In 2009 the gallery housed a display of Life Before Power. The Diefenbaker family homesteaded just a few miles north of Borden and a replica was built beside the Turtle Lake school. This house contains many items about John Diefenbaker and is furnished much as it would have been in the early 1900's.
 
The Masonic Lodge, situated next to the Diefenbaker house was given to the museum in 1996. It contains a collection of toys, a 10 ft replica of the Borden Bridge, as well as pictures from the Borden Masonic Lodge and Eastern Star. We now have 5 buildings in a row that tell the story of Borden's past. We hope to add a summer kitchen in 2010.